1) Can you tell readers a bit about yourself- your writing history/journey your novel(s)?
First of all, I’d like to thank you for having me over to your lovely blog for a glass of lemonade and a chat! I’m so happy to have a chance to get to know you and your readers!
I suppose I’ve been writing stories for as long as I could put a sentence together on paper. Before that, I was daydreaming stories. Nowadays, I still daydream stories, weaving them in my mind and heart until they feel alive. Then they find their way through my fingertips and onto the page.
Part of my writing journey has been fueled by my love of literature. Reading a beautiful, ancient heroic ballad, such as Beowulf, or a well-written contemporary novel, such as Hunger Games, is like eating a large slice of the best chocolate cake in the world!
And so, with my love of weaving words and daydreaming worlds into reality, writing has become a natural part of my heart and soul.
My YA Paranormal Sci-Fi novel, Cicada, was released last July, and boy has it been a wild ride! Cicada has developed sort of a cult following, and I love my readers! Cicada is the first of a trilogy. Firefly, book two, will be released late this summer (‘Lord willing and the creek don’t rise, as the old folks here in Texas say!). I included the first few chapters of Firefly at the end of Cicada, so readers will have a little something to whet their appetites! Check out the book trailer for Cicada and let me know what you think! I love getting message from my readers, and I always respond! J
2) Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
My first recollection of wanting to be a writer was when I was in the second grade, and our teacher, Mrs. Rambin, would have us lay our heads on our desks after lunch while she read us stories full of magic and imagination. Those stories she read to us stayed with me for days, and I couldn’t imagine anything better than being able to create such places of magic by writing.
3) Who is your favourite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
I’m not even sure I can answer this question, because I don’t have any one favourite! Of course I love Jane Austen! Who doesn’t? Getting past that, there are so many others! For instance, Suzanne Collins rocked my world with her Hunger Games trilogy! After I finished Mocking Jay, the characters stayed with me night and day until I picked the trilogy up and reread it!
Then there’s Beth Revis and her awesome Across the Universe series! I was completely engrossed with the first two books, and I cannot wait for the next one! Not only are her characters compelling, but the world she created aboard Godspeed is unique and fresh.
Likewise, Amy Kathleen Ryan’s Glow was enthralling. The twist in her story literally caused me to gasp out loud when I read it! I’m looking forward to reading the sequel to her novel!
It goes without saying that I love J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series! I still wish I could have gone to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!
As you can see, I could go on and on… so many terrific authors, so little time! And, just about with every book I read, I add another favourite author to my list! For instance, I’m reading Orson Scott Card’s Ender’s Game right now, so you can imagine that he’s about to find his way on my list of faves, too!
4) If you could have dinner with two characters from any books, who would they be and why?
I would love to have dinner with Dumbledore. Who wouldn’t love to pick his brain for the mysteries he kept hidden beneath that mystical wizard hat? Dinner with Dumbledore would be both enlightening and entertaining!
The other person with whom I like to share this dinner would be Silver Tongue from Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. I’d like to have him read aloud to Dumbledore and me and see what leaps off the pages of the book!
Yes, dinner with these two fellows would be quite enchanting!
5) Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?
My advice for aspiring authors would be to read, read, read! Read across the genres. Then write, write, write! You can only perfect your skill by practicing. And write for yourself. Write the best according to your own voice. Some readers will love your writing and your voice, and some will not. Stay the course and stay true to your voice. To do otherwise would be the same as trying to be someone else.
Thanks, again, for the chance to stop by! I hope everyone will check out Cicada and let me know what you think! Warmest wishes for a fantastic summer!
Cicada Book Trailer:
- Cicada Book Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF2fd2GxVKo
Where Cicada is sold:
- Amazon (print & e-book): http://tinyurl.com/Cicada-Belle-Whittington
- CreateSpace (print):https://www.createspace.com/3611155
- Barnes & Noble (e-book):http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/cicada-belle-whittington/1104300966?ean=2940013612297
- Books on Board (e-book): http://tinyurl.com/Cicada-BooksonBoard
- Smashwords (e-book): https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/74078
Social Networking Sites:
- Website: http://bellewhittington.com/ Goodreads Page:http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5046101.Belle_Whittington
- Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/BelleWhittington.Author
- Tumblr: http://bellewhittington.tumblr.com/
- Kindlegraph (for Kindle autographs):http://www.kindlegraph.com/books?utf8=%E2%9C%93&search=Cicada